Friday, June 17, 2011

Move Heaven And Earth by Christina Dodd

I just finished Move Heaven And Earth by Christina Dodd. I have heard about this book for awhile now and it's been on my TBR list. Finally I snagged a copy yesterday for .50 @ a library book sale. Yea!

This book was very intense and I finished it in a day but it seemed to take me longer to finish than most books. There's just a lot of things going on and a lot of characters with some heavy issues. Sylvan Miles (the heroine) has been hired by a Duke to come nurse his crippled brother - Lord Rand Malkin. Sylvan comes from a family w/ money and doesn't have to be a nurse for hire. However she feels compelled to help heal and was a nurse during the battle at Waterloo. Her experiences as a nurse on the battlefield still haunt her. Rand can't walk and is confined to a wheelchair. Through the course of the book you find out that his paralysis is more of a mental paralysis. There is a sanctimonious preacher who tries to intimidate everyone. Garth, the Duke, is the oldest brother but has so far refused to marry for his own reasons. Garth is committed to building/running a fabric mill - it's something that helps the local economy but there are those who oppose the mill. Then there is Gail - a little girl embraced by all of the Malkin family but nobody speaks of who her father is. And then there is the ghost.....there is a "ghost" figure attacking local women - who could it be?

In spite of all the drama, I enjoyed the story. The only thing that makes me go back & forth between rating it a 3 or 4 stars is that toward the end the hero pulls one of those "I'll push her away for her own good/I know what's better" - grrrrr. Just one of my pet peeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment