Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Two of a Kind by Susan Mallery




Gideon Boylan - the hero of this story - is one of a group of former soldiers currently making their home in the town of Fool's Gold. Just about all of these former soldiers bare some type of mental scarring leaving them with emotional issues that need to be worked out. In Gideon's case, he was held captive and tortured at one point. He was the only survivor. He believes that the main reason he was able to endure and survive is because he didn't have any emotional ties to anybody back home like the others did. He thinks that is what weakened his fellow captives. Enter Felicia Swift. Felicia was in the military as well. She has been super smart all her life. Some people find her intelligence intimidating - her parents were freaked out. Her parents pretty much "opted out" on raising her, leaving her to basically raise herself in various institutional settings. She became emancipated at age 14. Due to her super brain, and how she grew up, she is aware that she processes things a little differently than everybody else. She and Gideon had a one night stand years ago. She was a virgin at the time and, after some consideration, picked out Gideon to lose it to. Flash forward to the present and Felicia and Gideon find themselves in the same town and still deeply attracted to each other. There are many things about this book that I loved - the great characters, the sexy romance, the comradery between the former soldiers, and the relationship that develops between Felicia and 13yr. old Carter. The mother-son type relationship between the two was very touching. In addition to liking Carter, she finds that she can relate to his situation because of her teenage experience. I also liked the tease of a possible love match between Consuelo and Kent Hendrix. After reading this book, I couldn't wait to read the next book in the series.

12 comments:

  1. I just started this one myself. Hope I love it as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Felicia. There were so many times I wanted to shake Gideon!! I did not want this book to end. It was so funny and just watching these two finally get together was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree w/ you, Kerri about both Felicia & Gideon. The "shake Gideon" factor was why I liked the next book slightly better.Plus the next book has the awesome secondary romance of Kent & Consuelo. Loved it! Will post my review of that soon. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved how Felicia might not have had parents in the biological sense but through her life created a family from people she came in contact with! Love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Two of a KInd. Felicia and Gideon story was so much fun. I agree Gideon needs a shaking or two

    ReplyDelete
  5. Felicia is so smart yet yearns to be "normal". Sweet, touching and a bit of hot and spicy. I loved this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love Felicia! She is so honest and inherently kind! It was a joy to follow her as she tried to figure our social cues and fall in love with Gideon! Susan Mallery did it again! Fantastic books! I highly recommend!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fools Gold is loving and thriving with all the new men arriving. I cant wait to see the families grow out of Felicia and Gideons family along with all the other babies arriving as we read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book and loved reading about Felicia and Gideon not only falling in love, but finding a sense of family and belonging in Fool's Gold. This is my favorite FG book so far! I'm giddy for Gideon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the town of Fools Gold So cool! Cant wait for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again I am in love with Fools Gold. Susan has an awesome gift! With each story she builds the community while keeping the story unique. I love Gideon and Felicia. If I'm completely honest mostly Felicia, she is so painfully honest I adore her. My favorite to date.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Fool's Gold. Felicia is so funny. In Just One Kiss, I was so curious of her, but in Two of a Kind, I knew I liked her. I knew she would be a good friend of my.

    ReplyDelete