Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bagpipes, Brides, and Homicides by Kaitlyn Dunnett


 
This is Book 6 in this author’s “Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mystery” series. However, this is only the second book I’ve read by this author and I think a reader would still be able to enjoy it without having read the previous books. The events in this mystery take place as the sleuth and main character, Liss, is preparing to soon marry her longtime love. A major character in this story is Liss’s micro-managing mother, Violet. Given that she wasn’t in the other book I’ve read, I’m hoping she doesn’t appear in all the books. I had a lot of sympathy for Liss and her father. While Liss is more relaxed about her wedding preparations, her mother is a “mother-of-the-bride-zilla”. Being a scotophile, she arranges for Liss’s wedding to share time with the upcoming Western Maine Highland Games. There is just one snag. Due to a history scholar’s divisive re-enactment, the wedding site promises to be flooded with protesters for one reason or another. One problem is traded for another when that same scholar is murdered. No more protesters to worry about, but the police are looking to Liss’s dad as a potential suspect. I thought there was a very reasonable justification to the main character to act as a detective – clearing her father. I enjoyed the mystery, in spite of the obnoxious mom. I thought the murder location was interesting with the almost “locked room” aspect. I look forward to reading more books in this cozy mystery series.

No comments:

Post a Comment