Thursday, September 19, 2013

Dangerous by Jacquelyn Frank writing as JAX




This is not the first book by this author that I have read. I am a fan of her earlier books. Unlike some other readers, I did not feel as though there was nothing but sex on every page. I have no problem with that type of book if written well, but I don’t believe that was the case with this book. I didn’t feel it was any more or less sexual than any other paranormal romance. I think the author is good at creating a mood in her books. In this case, there is always the threat of danger. The threat posed by the Morphates felt like things were on the verge of an apocalypse. The Morphates seem part vampire/part science experiment gone wrong and the evil scientist behind it all is Eric Paulson. After seeing how powerful Devon is physically I wondered, along with Liam, why she felt the need to hire his firm for protection. After finishing the book, I got the impression she hired them for a few reasons: Liam and his humans are trained fighters and Liam has first-hand knowledge of how to kill a Morphate; she could protect herself but wanted others to protect her work from falling into the wrong hands; and I think, in an attempt to draw out her assassins and determine who is behind the attacks, she counted on the Morphates to underestimate the humans. Her strategy seemed to work since Ambrose expressed his disdain for humans and didn’t consider them any threat, but he was unsuccessful with his aims.

The romance itself was enjoyable. I liked the way Liam and Devon treated each other with respect. I would be interested to see in future books how the issue of their having differing lifespans gets resolved. I also really enjoyed the relationship between friends and co-warriors Inez & Kellen. It seemed like, toward the end of the story, Kellen hinted that he might like Inez more than a friend. Overall, I liked this romance, and look forward to reading more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment