Monday, July 15, 2013

Vampires, Bones, and Treacle Scones by Kaitlyn Dunnett




This is the first book I've read by this author but it is Book 7 in the "Liss MacCrimmon Scottish" series. I was still able to very much enjoy this series without having read the previous books. However, I am now eager to hunt down copies of the older ones. This was such a great example of a cozy mystery. The setting is the small Maine town of Moosetookalook. At the opening of this story, Liss (female sleuth) is involved in putting together a community fundraiser for Halloween. There is a haunted house to put together - Yay! "Haunted houses" are always fun in these types of mysteries. In addition to the strange goings-on at the old Chadwick mansion (haunted house), there is the legendary gangster's lost loot that some characters are fascinated by and try to find. If that wasn't enough, there a couple of missing parolees, hidden rooms, and a mysterious stranger living in town. I liked that the author gave a believable reason for Liss to be playing detective. I appreciated the humor thrown in the mystery as well as the suspenseful situations. The situation with 12yr. old Boxer kept me interested as well - totally pulled at my heartstrings. The characters really helped make for a great story in addition to the mystery. I loved this book, can't wait for the next one, plan on hunting down the previous ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment