Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Austensibly Ordinary by Alyssa Goodnight


This is the first book I’ve read by this author. I enjoyed this book but I think it would have been fine just as a regular romance without all the magic journal stuff. I thought the whole Alfred Hitchcock-themed party was very fun. The romance between Cate and Ethan was very cute and true to life I think because that’s very often how two friends end up in a romantic relationship (minus all the magic). I think Cate was a little slow to pick up on the clues that Ethan was interested in her as more than a friend, when her friends, mother, and even her students could see it. And I couldn’t believe that even after she and Ethan had become intimate that she was still trying to fix him up with her friends. I was happy that she didn't do anything really stupid like hook up with somebody else in an effort to talk herself out of being in a relationship with Ethan. This is a complete case of not seeing what’s right in front of you. I can see the parallels to Jane Austen’s Emma. Cate tries to play matchmaker for everybody she knows, while totally being blind to the great guy who is a both a good guy and into her. I was happy with the resolution – how she & Ethan get a little helping hand, and the parting lines. I think Jane Austen fans will like this book, as well as people who enjoy romances involving two longtime friends finally getting together.

No comments:

Post a Comment