Tuesday, August 7, 2012

When We Touch by Brenda Novak

This was the first story I've read by this author. I enjoyed it a lot. There are some very bizarre family dynamics going on in this story. Olivia is a woman going to her hometown to plan the wedding of her pregnant sister to the guy she was dating two months ago. If I were in her shoes I don't think I would have done it. I was very surprised that Olivia's parents weren't more sensitive to what she was going through emotionally. And the sister, Noelle....I would have liked to have seen her get her just desserts at the end. I understand she was pregnant, but she just seemed like an evil psycho. I liked that the author tried to give the groom some depth by showing his mindset so the reader has a window into his thoughts to know that he realizes what a bad thing he did and how he plans to take responsibility for his actions. I loved the chemistry between Olivia and Kyle's step-brother, Brandon. Brandon was just such a sexy, nice, cool guy. He tries to talk some sense into Kyle and stop him from marrying Noelle and ruining his life, telling him and he can still support his child and be there even without marrying the baby's mother. Kyle is probably right though, knowing how unbalanced Noelle is, she probably would either make visitation very hard or else do something crazy like run away with the child. I loved how the romance between Olivia and Brandon developed, even for a short story. I was very happy with the ending. I can only say that I would have liked a longer story about these two even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment