Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hook's Pan by Marie Hall




This is book 5 in a series but it is only the first book I've ever read by this author. That being said, I was able to enjoy this story without having read the previous books. The book description intrigued me. It's such an interesting idea - reinventing baddies or shady types from classic fairy tales and making them romantic heroes and pairing them with modern women. The hero in this story is Captain Hook from the classic Peter Pan story. The author paints him as a flawed but deeply sympathetic & romantic figure. The modern woman fate (or in this case a fairy) pairs him with is supposedly the reincarnated version of his lost love. I always think "reincarnated love" stories are tricky. However, I liked how the author respected the memory of the lost love but drove home the point that Trishelle is her own woman and should be valued and loved for who she is, rather than who she may have been at one time. I liked that Hook & Trish had a similar tragic experience that helped them connect and bond. I found the ending very satisfying but I would have loved for Pan to have gotten punished. I am looking forward to reading the previous books as well as any more the author might write in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment